Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Going commercial and formulas

What's the formula for being a working writer? Things are changing in the world of publishing. Lately, putting effort into writing a blog has made me wonder what writing is. Dreams of publishing a book seem less and less apropos in a world where books are no longer as dominant a medium.

One key, as a writer, is to be able to reach people with ideas. I really do write all this stuff hoping that someone will find something of use in it.

But another key, of course, is to find a way to support the practice of writing. Writing has, at least in the last century, typically been supported by receiving a contract from a publisher, but the internet changes that, doesn't it? I was writing this blog with a focus on the first key, but the second--well, maybe this can help with the second. And to that end, I will soon put advertising on my blog. I am shifting into a new formula.

No comments: