Monday, February 11, 2008

Fees

Quality isn't cheap. To get a good result you have to pay with effort. But for some reason, people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars to receive a degree, or more, balk at the idea of spending another one or two thousand. I understand the difficulty in finding money to pay for services, but sometimes saving money doesn't end up saving money. My services are not particularly cheap. But they're not particularly expensive, either. My clients finish their degrees, usually quickly. How much is it worth to finish one semester sooner? Despite the cost of an additional term, and despite the fact that my services are usually less than one term's fees, I get responses, often, that are downright comic. I have a doctorate, great references and credentials, and some people think I'm going to work for $10 an hour. I find it amusing. I'd find it less amusing if there weren't also people who understand that a good editor can make a big difference.

What is a good editor worth, if that editor helps you file on time and save a semester, or more?
What is that editor worth if he (or she) strengthens your work?
It's a lot easier to calculate the first than the second.

We have to pay for value, whatever we do. This is the principle of opportunity cost that I've mentioned in previous posts (or at least in one post): whatever we choose to do, we surrender the opportunity to have done something different. If we want something of quality, such things regularly cost a lot of money to buy or take a lot of effort to make.

No comments: