Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Technicalities

It occurred to, as I was writing my previous post about missing a day that, by simply staying up an hour or so longer, I could post for a second day in a row. I had written something for the blog when I was away from an internet connection, so I had something ready, but then I was thinking about how one can play with technicalities.

Last night, just after midnight, I remembered that I had forgotten to write a blog post. It was, perhaps, a technicality working against me, but tonight I was able to use a technicality for me, so that I didn't have to think about blogging tomorrow, too.

I suppose it's a strong puritan ethic that suggests to me that the right thing to do is to always let the technicality work against you--that it's somehow cheap to use a technicality in your favor. Certainly there's something to be said for not cheating the spirit of a regulation. But sometimes technicalities work against one, too. And in that case the spirit of the regulation shouldn't be cheated, either.
The leaves a certain ambivalence towards technicalities.

I suppose that inasmuch as this blog is aimed at writers, especially dissertation writers, there should be some connection to writers. But what point? I'm ambivalent about technicalities. One doesn't want to let them interfere with progress, so it makes sense to manage them as best possible.

No comments: