Monday, February 25, 2008

little did I think...

..when I posted on Friday that I had opened the flood gates by missing a day of blog posting. But obviously I had--perhaps because I had taken my time to recognize my failure I was more willing to let that failure compound. At least such as the failure was.

Well, we all have failures sometimes. Perfection is elusive.
One important question is what we do following a...well, I don't really want to call them "failures", because the word carries such negative connotations that it becomes its own weight. Such re-labeling bothers me a little, because I believe there is importance in calling a spade a spade: we have to call 'em the way we see 'em in order to be honest. And we have to be able to recognize that we may not have gotten the results that we wanted.

At the same time, there's no use crying over spilled milk. We have to be able to move past the results we didn't want in order to get the results we do want. If we let a failure stop us, then we are stuck with the results of a failure. If, instead, we look at that failure as a set of results that were not the results we wanted, then we can see that event--that failure, if you must use such language--as a step in the process of moving towards your goals.

No comments: